Burgers are all the rage right now. They’re simple to make, convenient to eat and are super filling for when you’re really hungry. However, all burgers aren’t created equal. A lot are filled with processed nasties that aren’t very nutritious and leave you feeling sleepy and heavy. This epic burger recipe is nutrient dense, gluten-free and super tasty. Who says you can’t have it all?
Servings: 8 Prep Time: 25 minutes Cook time: 45 Minutes
Hemp Crusted Tofu Patty: 500 g organic extra firm tofu (pressed between two tea towels to remove any excess water)
Buttermilk Wash: 250 ml coconut milk, 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar, 1 tbsp sriracha, 1 tsp Himalayan pink salt
65 g almond four
45 g coconut flour
25 g golden flax meal
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp Himalayan pink salt
55 g activated walnuts
55 g activated sunflowerseeds
20 g pine nuts
20 g hemp seeds
½ cup carrot grated
½ cup red cabbage shredded
1 cup kale stemmed and shredded
1 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
1 tbsp hemp oil
1 tsp mustard
Sriracha Mayo: 8 tbsp vegan mayonnaise, 1 tbsp sriracha
Other Burger Bits: 2 large tomatoes sliced, 8 small cos lettuce leaves washed and dried, 8 gluten-free burger buns
1. Preheat the oven at 200 degrees Celsius and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Slice tofu into 8 uniform patties.
3. Coat all pieces in the Flour mixture, then dip in the Buttermilk mixture and finally coat with the Crumb mixture.
4. Place in a single layer on your pre-lined baking tray and bake for 45 minutes or until golden.
5. Flip patties over after about 30 minutes to get a golden crust on each side.
6. While your patty is baking, mix all ingredients for the kaleslaw together in a medium bowl and set aside.
7. Once your patties are done, allow them to cool at room temperature until safe to touch.
8. To assemble your burger, place 1 tbsp of sriracha mayo onto your bottom burger bun. Top with a cos lettuce leaf, slice tomato, tofu patty, kaleslaw and finish with the top half of the burger bun…..Enjoy!